Sunday, September 15, 2013

Discipline

Now that Jackson's getting bigger, I find myself thinking about how we will discipline him for the things he does that are wrong. Right now, he's in the tumultuous two's and he's not even had his second birthday. He tests me daily. He throws things. He screams when we don't give him the iPhone with the correct cartoon on YouTube, he hits when he's tired, he can be a real grouch. Yet he can turn it all back to 100% angel in a blink of an eye. I get so frustrated then my heart melts again. I then feel guilty for feeling so frustrated with him. It's a cycle. I am praying for patience. I am honestly going to add that as a prayer every day. I was struck by this verse in the one year Bible today and felt the urge to share it. I never imagined the Bible addressed sparking. I truly need to open my eyes more and rely on the unending truth that God has an answer for every question, doubt, or fear that we may have.


PROVERBS 23:13-14

Don’t fail to discipline your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death. 

I take it my parents read this verse a time or two when I was between the ages of 5-12 because I vividly remember a few encounters with my father's "church wearing" belt. It's hard to imagine physically spanking Jackson and seeing him hurt from something I've done. I can't deny that I've popped his diaper a time or to when he's acting uncontrollable and flailing body parts in my direction. In those moments I've hated myself for even that small step of action.  No one tells you this stuff when you're expecting. No one tells you the challenging pieces of information. I guess it's one of those things you learn as you go. Learn by praying, reading the Bible and loving on my family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment