Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shape Up

Hilarious story...
Last Saturday night my family got together for one of my Memaw's famous cooking nights. Let me tell you, Fitness Pal on the iphone can't stand for me to eat at Memaw's. It turns all my numbers red and basically says "You really blew it today!" Everyone was enjoying desert when I made the following announcement: "I'm going to run a 5K! My grandmother said "Where at?" I said "Well, I was thinking Depot Days". My dad busted out a "Nuh Uhhhh... Me to" followed by many confused looks around the room. My dad, running... much less a 5k? No joke he would smoke me back in High School. He used to make me race him around the bases in our back yard. I actually was more nervous for that race than the ones that ended high school softball practice. I had a thing about being the fastest. If I wasn't watch out because it was about to be ticked off land for me. I wasn't always but I managed to be in the top 2% most of the time. Okay back to the story. Apparently my dad wrote down his goals for the year. He's big on Writing them down so you will actually see them and know that you're setting your mind to do it (I'm trying this..) and he wrote down "Run Hartselle Depot Day's 5k". So here we go, we will race again. I can't wait. His business can sponsor me. I will run for "Benjamin Franklin Plumbing" and maybe we will sprint it out at the end for a "Photo" finish as Brent said. I can't wait to see the look on Brent's face when we actually finish the race. He thinks we will never stick to this!

With this goal (keep in mind I have months to prepare) I've started Couch to 5K. It's a well laid out weekly running plan. I came across it while I was blog hopping a few months ago but just never put it into action. Currently I'm on week 2. It's going good. Who knows if I will be able to keep up because I've never been a fan of distance running nor have I kept myself in the best shape since my high school athletic days ended.

Here's to me and my dad... finishing the race. Let week two of training continue!


No comments:

Post a Comment