Saturday, July 2, 2011

Craft Day

Today has been productive on the decorative side of Jackson's nursery. I wanted to have some wooden letters made to spell out "Jackson" and hang above his crib. My sister-in-law did the math and showed me how much I would save if we did it ourselves... so that's just what we've started. So far we have painted our letters a shade of taupe that way if they hang from the wall any or the scrapbook paper doesn't cover them completely you won't be able to tell. The only thing left to paint is the back which I will tackle later on tonight when the front dries.

Next we will trace our letters onto the 2 cute patterns of scrapbook paper we found at Hobby Lobby. Both patterns match the general theme I'm using for the nursery. I'd call the theme baby colors but sophisticated patterns... Let's hope baby Jackson get a lot of toys to stimulate his mind because mommy's blah nursery colors won't do much for him :)

We plan on tracing and modge-podgeing the paper to the letters on Monday while the Thomas Family enjoys the 4th of July together.

The last step will be adding burlap ribbon to the letters and figuring out how to tie a cute burlap bow on top of the letter to cover whatever contraption we use to hang them on the wall. I plan on hanging the letters over the crib.

The wooden letters, scrapbook paper and modge podge cost me approximately $20.00. Hopefully we can complete the entire project for under $30. This will definitely save me some cash and add a touch of homemade love to Jackson's nursery.

I also picked up two 16x20 canvases so my sister can get started on the two wall art pieces. She is painting me a lion & monkey (both in a safari/cartoonish pattern/style). I'm so excited that she is doing this for us. She's actually doing the artwork and I'm painting the canvas... hopefully we will make a good team and it will look nice.

My grandfather will be building Jackson a storage bench. The bench will have 4 cubbies on the bottom. I found two baskets today to use for my measurements and also some fabric to create basket-liners with. Oh the tasks we have to complete in the next 4 months.... but it will be worth it. I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment